Friday 3 June 2011

Roll up, Roll up, The Circus is in Town!

A lot of the books I have read recently seem to have featured a circus. Not the bright, loud, electric version that stops off at your local field once a year, but the run-down, faded from glory, slightly sinister type that is populated by a motley crew of 'other worldly' characters.

Despite the fact that the literary symbolism of using a shambolic travelling circus, full of 'unusual' people that have come from 'elsewhere' is so obvious it's a bit like being hit over the head with the strong man's dumb bell, I still love the descriptions of these people and places. As a reader you are free to see the romance in the setting and  every time your protagonist encounters the shady world of the circus it adds a frisson of danger that is so exciting when you know that you are sitting at home, safe on your sofa!

I know I am not the only one to have noticed these descriptions  - there are plenty of depictions of the circus available on Folksy. For today's Folksy Friday I have picked a selection of my favourites - items that encapsulate the weird and the wonderful, the moody and the macabre and the kooky and quirky...




 Just click on the pictures to be transported to the sellers shop


4 comments:

  1. Oh excellent I love it. You have really captured the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh thank for the feature, I am theothermousie & CirquedeChaussettes is my dark side! I love a circus, especially when it encompasses the macabre... brilliant Folksy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the mention on your lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thankyou for including me on your Blog ;) x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...