Saturday 13 July 2013

Craft Stall Display - How made by lolly has changed over the years

Every time I attend a craft fair or event with made by lolly I do my best to come up with the most amazing stall design that I can. It's not always easy, and I look back at some of my early attempts and cringe!

But... over the years, as my stall display skills have increased, and I have collected a better variety of display equipment the more pleased I have been with the finished design.

However, since I found my 'muse' (You can read all about that in the post 'How I inadvertently invented a marketing strategy...')  I have a much better understanding of my style and what types of craft stall display work best with the felt brooches and corsages that I now make.

So... as I am now on Summer break and won't be attending any craft fairs for a couple of months (don't worry you can still shop online!) I thought it would be good fun to have a look back at some of my previous craft stalls and see how my style and skills have (hopefully!) developed and improved over the years.

Promise you won't laugh... 

Here in all its technicolour glory is a picture of my first ever craft stall.
Taken at Elsecar Heritage Centre on 22nd May 2010:

Look how few brooches I have on my stall back in May 2010...
Next we move on to the rest of 2010 and early 2011.
Purple is still a very big feature. But already you can see lots more brooches!


Unfortunately I cannot seem to locate any pictures for Autumn/Winter 2011 
or Spring/Summer 2012 so we will just have to fast forward directly to 
Autumn/Winter 2012.

The purple tablecloth and mismatched equipment have gone into hibernation 
to be replaced by pale cream and grey wooden crates and baskets.
Felt brooches as far as the eye can see!


By Spring/Summer 2013 I have swapped to a grey tablecloth and am using the wooden crates 
to create a stepped display area for my luxury boxed corsages. 
I acquire hessian lined wire baskets and a make a hessian tablerunner to match.


...And hey presto! 3 years and 3 tablecloths later a stall display to be proud of:




Featuring a LOT of felt flower brooches!

I'd love to know what you think of the changes that I have made to my craft stall display 
over the last few years. Is there anything that you particularly liked or disliked?

Have you got any favourite tips for making your stall look fabulous?

Also...
Do you have any suggestions for changes that I could make in the future?
From September I have a lot of big events that I will be attending where I really want to make an impression and stand out from the crowd.

What else could I do to make sure that made by lolly felt brooches get noticed?

Please feel free to leave any feedback in the comments below!

7 comments:

  1. The stall looks great! The modern touches and tiered layout really work.

    Putting together a display for a craft fair can be tough, especially when you first start out. I'm a newbie in comparison to you and haven't quite got my display design worked out yet.

    I hope you are pleased with your new display and that it works well for you :)

    Knittynora xx

    http://allyouneediscraft-uk.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi knitynora
    thanks for stopping by to leave a comment!
    Good luck and have fun working on your craft stall design :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking at the final photo my first thought is that I can not read the price labels very easily. Perhaps something like fuscia pink would stand out on the grey.

    You are doing a fantastic job. It all looks very proffessional.

    I have to say sad to see the purple go - but thats just me ;)

    SVx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you when searching for craft stall "Pinspiration" myself! I have to say I absolutely love your final stall - so uncluttered, very together and a lovely natural feel for your gorgeous felt brooches. I love the tin can idea too. However for someone like me who attends a right mixture of fairs (not many but they range from vintage and artisan to the downright tacky fundraising event) I have to cut my cloth to suit - so to speak. You would probably sell out at my artisan fair but find it hard to cover costs at the fundraiser. But I do think you've cracked it - I would be there with my purse open! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, thanks for your comments! You are right, it is important to tailor your stall design to the event that you are doing - and as you can probably guess, the final stall was at a more prestigious arts fair!

      I think the best thing about having 3 years of experience AND equipment, means that I know feel confident with what I have got and what suits my products, so I am able to change my layout event to event - and sometimes even half way through an event!

      Good luck with your events, thanks so much for stopping by :-)

      Delete
  5. Lovely stall! we're going to our first in a week and I'm getting some good inspiration. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...