Thursday 2 May 2013

Salt Dough Experiments - Coloured Salt Dough

Last week I had my first ever experience of salt dough.

Hard to believe, but true!

I started off with a basic salt dough recipe and some basic tools and equipment. The results were varied to say the least, but I didn't allow the lack of instant success to put me off!

According to my extensive research there are many different ways to vary the colour, texture and decoration of your salt dough ornaments - including oil, lemon juice, wallpaper paste, tea, coffee, paint, lace, stamps, buttons...


I haven't had time to try them all, but here are some of the results from my salt dough experiments:

How to make salt dough easier to handle
  • Add a few drops of vegetable oil to the basic salt dough recipe This will help make the dough soft and silky, and easier to knead    
  • Try not to add too much water. The salt dough should be soft and pliable, but never sticky otherwise it will be difficult to handle
  • Make sure you knead the salt dough for at least 5 minutes. The softer and smoother that your basic salt dough is, the better your finished items will look!
  • As I was making small and delicate items, I found it easier to work with only 1/4 of the dough at a time. Store the leftover salt dough under a damp cloth until you need it.
  • I covered my work surface with greaseproof paper to make it easier to move the dough after rolling out

Using coffee to make coloured salt dough

  • Add some coffee granules to a small lump of salt dough. Knead and manipulate the dough until the coffee granules have all blended into the dough (1.)
  • If you want a mottled effect, press more coffee granules into the surface of the salt dough (2.)
  • If you want a marbled effect, manipulate the dough until the coffee granules have only partially blended in (3.)
  • If you want a darker, solid colour, add much more coffee and knead very well to ensure the colour is evenly spread throughout the dough (4.)

Using acrylic paint to make coloured salt dough

  • Add some acrylic paint to a small lump of salt dough. Knead and manipulate the dough until the paint has blended in (1.) (You may want to wear gloves and protect your work surface during this stage as it can get messy until the paint has all mixed in!)
  • If you want a marbled effect, manipulate the dough until the paint has only partially blended in (2.)
  • If you want to add extra colour and texture, why not try adding some coffee granules to the coloured salt dough (3.)
  • Once rolled out the combination of the marbled paint and the coffee granules gives an amazing effect! (4.) 
I'm amazed by the results that can be achieved just by adding a few simple things to the basic dough - and somehow, I think that there may be many more things I have yet to discover about salt dough!

I'd love to know if you have any salt dough recipe recommendations, or any ideas for future projects...

Please feel free to leave a comment below - and who knows, 
it may inspire me to write a blog post about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...